Sunday, January 18, 2009

ready... set... go

after I bought a new-used tractor this past fall I think that I am obligated to give my farm a name and call it started.  here's what I've got at this point in time towards being self-sufficient;a strawbale house, a piece of land that's mine in all but deed, a new/used tractor, my first seed order is slowly arriving, and I'v absolutely no experience growing things.

I'm choosing to view the fact that I only know about farming and other homesteady activities as an advantage, I figure that it just means that I will have less of a bias towards doing things one way or another.  If I'm not caught up in my own traditions than hopefully I'll be able evolve my own farming practices more effectively.  although I might just be telling that to myself in order to feel less nervous about the vast amount of work that this whole thing is going to end up being.  

My current list for stuff to do through to this fall:

tapping maple trees

get a land line to the house - for internet and so I can get rid of my personal radiation device

Raising three pigs

slaughtering and butchering said pigs

keeping bees - hopefully with out getting covered in bees http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-tl6GBOBo&feature=related

making three hoop houses - one for a workshop, one for the tractor, and one for a winter garden

clearing trees for the garden

planting walnut trees 

starting a winter garden and sowing cover crops on the rest of the garden area

finish the outside trim work on the house

cut and split wood for next winter

that's all I can think of at the moment though I'm sure there is more.  so that it then the official start of my farm as far as internet is concerned, here's to gettin in over you head... and staying there.

No comments:

Post a Comment